According to a report by Military.com, the US Army is quietly considering reducing 90,000 active-duty soldiers-a major decrease that can reduce the force as 360,000 soldiers.
The step has come as Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth which pushes for 8% deduction in the Pentagon budget and as he focuses his attention from military Europe and anti -terrorism missions.
Potential deduction is in line with the goal of defense leaders, which transforms the army into a small, faster and more high -tech force, which is better favorable for future struggles, especially in the Pacific where China is seen as a growing threat.
The army identifies the last fourth American soldier who died in the Lithuanian swamp

The Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth aims to cut the Pentagon budget by 8%. (Andrzej iwanczuk/Nurphoto Getty images)
Army spokesman Synthia Smith wrote to Fox News Digital in an email, “We are building more fighter power by reducing employees and overheads. The final power may also increase.” “It is going to be a lean, more deadly and large army.”
On the matter, Fox News Digital was not given any more reference to the army in his email.
While no official number has been confirmed, according to internal discussion from a military.com report, it is possible that the cut will go anywhere between 360,000 and 420,000 from 450,000 active-duty soldiers.
American military train service members to combat rising drones threat

The proposed army deduction comes in view of the call of State Secretary Marco Rubio to increase European NATO spending during the visit of Brussels on Thursday. (Jacqueline Martin/Pool/AFP via Getty Image)
An official warned that the cut may barely hit if not done carefully. “If we reduce force without a clear retention strategy, we risk losing talented people who have other options,” the officer told the Military.com.
The US Army has been a prominent player in supporting NATO among NATO amidst the Russian war in Ukraine, a mission Trump administration has often criticized.
State Secretary Marco Rubio gave a clear message from Europe: President Donald Trump: Speaking from NATO headquarters at Brussels on Thursday.
“He is against a NATO that lacks the abilities required to fulfill his obligations,” Rubio said. “This is a difficult truth, but one that must be addressed.”

US military equipment and military vehicles have been depicted during preparation to load cargo ships on 3 April 2025 during Operation Reven Assistant at ESBJERGER of Western Denmark. (BO AMSTRUP/RITZAU Scanpix/AFP through Getty Image)
Click here to get Fox News app
The army cut around 24,000 posts for anti -terrorism last year, but those roles were mostly incomplete.
Despite the recruitment of challenges in recent years, the army completed its 2024 list of 55,000 by the end of the financial year in September.